Friday, April 01, 2005

Put Out into the Deep

I think the Gospel phrase "put out into the deep" which John Paul used in his encyclical at the close of the Jubilee is very appropriate as we keep watch with the Pope, accompanying him to heaven's door--setting out into the length and breadth and height and depth of Christ's love to which he has been such a remarkable witness. The atmosphere here in the convent is somewhat the same as during those times when one of our sisters has been dying with us at home. It is as if the Holy Father were in our house, and while we are going about our everyday duties, it is all being done quietly, as if tip-toeing so as not to make any disturbance. I am finding it very hard to pray, except to just keep vigil. But on my way to Mass this afternoon, I found myself asking Jesus if he would let Pope John Paul, as he breathes his spirit into the Lord's hands, to in some way take my spirit to a new place, too: I mean, as the Pope surrenders fully to the Lord, may he grab me by the hand and help me to surrender to the Lord more fully.

No comments: