Friday, April 01, 2005

Keeping Watch

Just a few words before I return to chapel to keep vigil for the Holy Father.
I am really impressed at the quality of the TV commentators these days. Remember not too long ago when any snide and smarmy expert (maybe with unresolved issues about authority, celibacy, whatever) was given the electronic pulpit during events of high papal visibility? Now there are these reverent, loving, hopefilled (and at the same time honest) voices... It is so nice not to have acid spilled all over the place.
So I go to join those who are keeping watch with the Holy Father. How marvelous today's Gospel is, with Jesus on the shore and Peter throwing himself into the water to come to him!

3 comments:

Rae Stabosz said...

I thought exactly the same thing after watching a report from CN8 this morning. In fact I wrote their producer to say so. They had Bishop Saltarelli of Wilmington, my own bishop, to comment on the Pope's condition and answer questions. The questions they asked him were not ignorant. They listened respectfully to him and let him explain Catholicism in his own way.

Can it be that the media is turning over a leaf? The work and prayers of Blessed Alberione and Mother Thecla are bearing fruit.

"God bless us everyone." Rae

Sr. Marianne Lorraine Trouve said...

I didn't see too much TV, but I was listening to the radio and the coverage was good. In fact, one talk show host who admitted he isn't the world's greatest Catholic had nothing but admiration for the pope. He called him a "towering figure of our time" and a great spiritual leader.

Anonymous said...

I guess it's been good. But CNN made me weep when they posted a popularity poll on "do you agree with the Pope?" right over the banner that said "Pope Near Death"

On the brighter side, 62% thought his policies were "just right" I don't think that was the result CNN was hoping to get.