Friday, October 05, 2012

Imponderables

Granted, it's a little late for my blog post about the day's Mass readings, but tomorrow's readings really do offer a kind of "part 2" to each of them, so consider this a prologue of sorts...

What came to my mind as I read the text from Job for today (God narrating the marvels of the universe to Job) was a book I read years ago. It was called "Imponderables," and was one of those "answers to head-scratching questions" books. The author included a call for more head-scratchers for a future volume (and I actually had one that got in the new book, so I was sent a free copy!). In the reading God was, in effect, asking Job one head-scratcher after another: all those "mighty deeds" that unfold day after day in creation, so that we can forget how marvelous they are. And Job repents of whatever lack of faith his challenge to God had represented.

Which is just what seems to have happened in Capernaum and Bethsaida in Jesus' day. Where God treats Job in a rather bemused way, Jesus really lets those two favored cities have it. Why? Because they had witnessed his mighty deeds, but refused to respond in repentance.

Tomorrow we get the flip side of each story: instead of obstinance or just obtuseness, there is thanksgiving. Job admits, "My own eyes have seen you," and Jesus tells his disciples that that's the case for them, too: "Blest are the eyes that see what you see!"

What step do I need to take so that my eyes will be open to God's "imponderables" as they play out in my life?

Here is the book with my formerly
(in the days before the Internet)
unanswerable question about why there is
a tiny Niagara Falls picture on
Nabisco Shredded Wheat boxes.

No comments: