Friday, August 31, 2012

Seeking Wisdom

Last night, after a full and very enriching day at the Catholic New Media Conference, my eyes were just too tired to read through the Mass texts for today. I glanced at the first reading (1 Cor), made a mental note of the ever-pertinent theme ("In God's wisdom, the world did not come to know God through wisdom") and turned off the light.
Well.
This morning I heard the Gospel. Whereas St Paul had written of the split between this world's wisdom and God's foolish wisdom of the Cross, Jesus spoke of the wise and foolish bridesmaids. It was practically an invitation to pray for the gift of Wisdom.
As the Mass continued, I reflected on that Wisdom and the shape it takes in our world. Patience is a form of wisdom, isn't it? Service is an expression of wisdom. Gratitude is a surpassing form of wisdom. It was as if the Lord was telling me that the path to Wisdom, the way to receive an outpouring of this Gift of the Holy Spirit, is to give these virtues more attention; to recognize them as occasions for a wisdom that is lived and not only an interior vision.
Funny, I think I've just realized where I can find God at work, answering my prayer for wisdom!
What about you?