Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just a taste...

Today was the start of the trimmed-down "Taste of Chicago," the summer event that I look forward to most--and often miss. This year it is trimmed down indeed. No free samples of toothpaste or hot sauce. No collard green egg rolls on the menu. And when I attempted to get a little fix of Korean bulgogi at the "pop up" restaurant (one day only), they were out and wouldn't have more for another 40 minutes. There was, however, a chance for a free sample ice cream, if you filled out a release form and surrendered some of your dignity by letting them take a picture...

Speaking of pictures, I took one myself of an ardent preacher with an urgent message. Considering that today's Gospel was Jesus sending the Twelve to proclaim "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand," the cheerful man in the "Trust Jesus" T-shirt was certainly in sync with the liturgy, even if I felt a bit embarrassed to be seen near his sign. (Surprisingly many people assume that Catholics believe the things that even the fringiest street preacher proclaims in the name of the Bible, and I didn't want to inadvertently confirm the interpretation!)

Since there was no bulgogi and no collard green egg rolls, I still have a few precious tickets left for another adventure at the Taste. I wonder what I'll find next time?

No comments: