Monday, May 02, 2011

Dying by the sword

Rejoicing in the streets. Gestures of triumph. Chanting and wordless cries of jubilation. Last night around the White House? Yes. And ten years ago, in the Middle East when the twin towers fell.
We decried it then as unseemly and out of place.
It still is, even though the man who died yesterday with a bullet to the head had so much innocent blood on his hands.
The Vatican spokesman, Fr. Federico Lombardi, put it very well: "In the face of a man's death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth of peace and not of hatred."
That is our mission now, if we choose to accept it.

Here's a great reflection that draws on our Catholic tradition (and "traditions") in helping us take on a truly Christian response to the current situation.

3 comments:

Christine Falk Dalessio said...

I had posted that quote on my fb profile, and it's making the rounds like wildfire. I suppose we all need compassion...for the uncharitable revelers as well as those who have wronged us.

Benjamen said...

YES!! I have been fighting off so much hatred today online it's not even funny. It's exhausting work! Thank you for your short, accurate and elegant write up.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are for the soul of Osama bin Laden as they were for Saddam Hussein and the evil associated with his life, and especially his sons. And I do hope that Judas is saved. I want to be saved too and I have had many more graces to get over the humps than do I imagine have they. God's mercy upon all of us.
May Our Blessed Mother watch over and protect America.