Monday, June 21, 2010

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

That line from the old TV show "Mission Impossible" (don't know if it was in the movie) came to mind at yesterday's Gospel. You know, "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must...take up his cross daily and follow me." Every cross that presents itself (daily!) is like that proposal: Here is your mission, should you choose to accept it.  Instead of just being a hurdle you need to break past somehow in order to get to the mission of the day, taking it on becomes the "mission." Everything else is icing on the cake.
I think this is going to really help me deal with my daily cross.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be nice if I could taste the icing on the cake first

damnyanqui said...

Greetings sister!
I was intrigued by your comment last fall on Richard McBrien's column on adoration.
I am working on a documentary on the renewed interest in and appreciation for the Blessed Sacrament and on adoration in particular.
I would appreciate a chance to talk about your observations... and your book on the subject!
May we talk?
I can be reached at voysndwild@comcast.net
(I consider that email address my own take on what St. John the Baptist's license plate might have said.)

Margie said...

Thanks for sharing Sr. Anne. This helps me focus on the my mission of carrying my daily share of the cross, & not on the outer covering aka--the icing.

Cheers,
Margie

Anonymous said...

By "chance" (?), this evening I happened upon this old post from "Conversion Diary" that also relates to what can happen when you "choose to accept" that mission: http://www.conversiondiary.com/2009/02/childbirth-tupac-and-offering-it-up.html