Friday, January 11, 2008

As you may have guessed by now, I usually focus my meditation on the Liturgy of the day. I read the Missal the night before, right before going to bed, and then I spend my Jesus-time with it again in the morning. On my way to chapel, I try to recall the passage that struck my attention at night. This morning, I was somewhat less than successful (an indicator of how tired I was last night!), but I did remember that the Gospel involved a cure, and that it was the cure that was effected simply by Jesus' decision: "I do will it. Be cured." I thought it was a blind man, but then remembered it was a leper. And I vaguely remembered that the cure resulted in Jesus being mobbed by people seeking a cure. But I forgot something very important.
"Jesus used to withdraw to deserted places to pray."
That's how today's Gospel ends.
Jesus did not give himself over to healing miracles right and left. He gave himself over to prayer, so that people could encounter the Father in his words and in his miracles. Otherwise, it would have only been a magic show, or worse, an exploitation of Jesus' gift. Jesus may have even devoted more time to prayer, the more people clamored for healing! Something to learn from.

No comments: