Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Pro-life

When I was a brand-new junior sister in my first "real" assignment (St. Louis), I found myself at a certain point unable to escape a certain series of rosary reflections that kept coming to me. Every time we said the rosary--in the car, in chapel, etc.--I found myself connecting the mysteries of the rosary to pro-life issues. Finally, one day in the car (I can still visualize where I was sitting and what the view was), it dawned on me: Maybe I'm supposed to write this! There was an almost forcible "confirmation" that came from both without and within, and I was, no kidding, seized with dread at this unexpectedly clear encounter with God's plan. Out of that came a little booklet called "Praying the Rosary Pro-Life." Eventually we printed and distributed over 200,000 copies. About six years ago, I asked that it go out of print, because the issues have grown so hugely a new version needs to be done. A sister was assigned to that, someone who specialized in moral theology and who is much more "up" on the issues than I have managed to be. But... she, like all of us, has too many other jobs, so the work is on hold, perhaps until I get inspired again.
This all came out of seeing the "Women's Center" at the Theology of the Body conference. I learned that (those of you in Chicago, take note!) we can get coupons from them to use at two of the major grocery chains here, and they will get a donation for  7% of the total sale. I will be following up on that, and will post the information about how to get those coupons. I also want to assert, contrary to the big lie promoted by so many in the abortion-rights camp, that these centers do not abandon women once they have given birth. They are always in need of baby care items, and they offer continuing support to women, constantly affirming them as mothers. It is so unfair for these centers to be written off as only "anti-abortion" efforts.
Another thing that strikes me, though, is the power of Planned Parenthood to set the agenda for women's "reproductive health." Part of that is their being a 900-pound gorilla with a uniform, centralized, national approach. I think somehow we would do much more good in impacting the culture if our many disparate women's care centers were to unite and form large multi-purpose centers like Planned Parenthood. They could offer the same services they do now, plus serve as centers for life-affirming training sessions, NFP training, things in general that serve women's needs. Granted, they wouldn't have the same financial resources as the allegedly non-profit PP, but perhaps the resources being used in so many small, scattered efforts would be better utilized if things were brought together.
But that is no easy matter! We are only now centralizing our bookstores, and it is quite a piece of work. How much more challenging to bring together services begun by so many different groups, with varying visions! But it may be something to pray about.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This is a really valuable idea, well worth considering.