Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Keeping Busy

I have been helping run an exhibit for my community--we have two spaces at a national level catechetical conference. The two "best sellers" for us at this conference have been "Imagining Faith with Children" (a really nice guide for pulling Catholic values and virtues from the hints you can find in best-loved kiddie lit) and Sr. Rose's latest in the "Movie Lover's Guide to Scripture" series, "Lights, Camera, Faith: The Ten Commandments." The exhibit lasts only through tomorrow afternoon, but it is quite a bit of work for us, because we used one of those fancy display units that requires unusual coordination of anyone brave enough to attempt setting it up. We succeeded in assembling it; will we manage to get it back into its boxes?
I took the CTA home so Sr. Susan could come home in the car in the evening. There was a pitifully thin homeless man sleeping in the subway car. He was bent completely over, and under his dirty coat there seemed to be nothing but bones. At a certain point, his head turned a bit, and I could see that his cheek had a huge purple-red area. He must have been beaten up. All I had with me was a travel-worn granola bar, but I left it on the seat near him. I hope other people saw it there and added a little something that they had extra. Pray for him.

No comments: