Friday, August 19, 2005

Button memories

In between things this week, I helped my Mom move into a new sewing basket. She had had the former one for about 25 years, and kept it even though it was broken. When I needed snaps for my veil, that is where I headed. All I found were buttons and scraps, along with odds and ends, such as:
8 spools of thread in various shades of green, harking back to the days when five of us (the girls) wore the green plaid uniforms of Archbishop Chapelle High. (I think the youngest graduated from Chapelle in 1988.)
A shoulder patch (for the school sweaters) from our parochial school--and I don't think they were using shoulder patches when my youngest sister went there...
Iron-on khaki patches (my brothers' uniforms).
Iron-on name tags for four of us (almost a whole package with my name).
A few days later, Mom and I went to the hobby store nearby and found a new, intact sewing basket (at 50% off!), and I went to work. I recognized many of the unusual buttons--from pea coats, school sweaters, Mom's suits from long ago. Then Mom came by and picked up a button. It was covered in green fabric and surrounded by rhinestones. "I remember this dress!" She exclaimed. "I had it before I was married." (Recall, my parents just celebrated their Golden Anniversary.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Yes, it's amazing the memories a sewing basket can bring. In my closet I found a piece of cotton fabric in my quilting pile. It was left over from a summer workdress my grandma wore every year to garden, to pick dandelions for salad in the evening, to make dinner in the hot summer kitchen. It is a humble dime store print, and I can not bring myself to cut into it.

Anonymous said...

THE DAY AFTER GOING THROUGH HUNDREDS OF BUTTONS IN MY SEWING BOX WITH SR. ANNE, I WAS WEARING A JEAN SKIRT WITH ONE MISMATCHED BUTTON...HAWKEYE LOOKED UP AND COMMENTED "THE MISSING BUTTON IS IN YOUR SEWING BOX"....LOVE, MOM