Friday, August 19, 2005

Book Report

Well, today I am finishing up "Guns, Germs and Steel," and I have to say that I have found it intensely interesting. The book's thesis is that more than anything else, geographic factors like latitude, and native plant and large mammal species (capable of domestication) influenced the development of complex societies and their technologies, and even things like resistence to contagious diseases--the same contagious diseases that decimated populations in other geographic regions when peoples encountered each other. A lot of the author's presentation on the diffusion of technologies is consistent with the findings in "The Tipping Point," so the two books go well together. Add this to your list of "Books Sr. Anne Recommends."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments on the book. I caught some of the documentary on public television and it was so interesting. I will read the book. Peg