Saturday, April 02, 2005

In Paradisum

There's a hymn we always sing at our sisters' funerals. It is a really old chant-based hymn, and sometimes we have sung it in Latin, but I only know the English by heart:

Go forth to Paradise.
May angels take thee by the hand
and at the gate of heaven may the martyrs greet thee at thy coming.
May they lead thee in the city of Jerusalem,
the holy place of God.
May the choirs of angels
sing with joy to welcome thee.
And with Lazarus, who once was so poor,
may thou find eternal peace at last.

You know, the Holy Father really did die on Divine Mercy Sunday (it was after Evening Prayer I on Saturday night, so liturgically it was Sunday), and at the same time he died on the First Saturday of the month, the day especially connected with Mary, who has marked his life so strongly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The following is from St Faustina's Diary (#1732). It is worth contemplating - keep in mind that it was written almost 80 years ago: "I bear a special love for Poland and if she will be obedient to My will, I will exalt her in might and holiness. From her will come forth the spark that will prepare the world for My final coming."

Anonymous said...

Could we have the Music to this, this is so beautiful, not being Catholic I do not know the hymn.
Thank you,
Bonnie Kidder