Friday, January 01, 2021

A new recipe for the New Year

This fall (I think) I was interviewed on an online “good news” type show, mostly directed to and about small business owners. Last month the show's co-host made arrangements with the Johnsonville Sausage Co. to provide products to a number of former guests who like to cook. The recipients would video themselves making something delicious with the free food. It was clearly a win-win! So one of the sisters took footage of me in our industrial kitchen, as I used the Johnsonville bratwurst and Italian sausage to make three kinds of pizza for the sisters' Saturday night supper. 

I had only the random contents of our pantry, freezer and fridge to work with, which meant I had to make the pizza sauce from scratch, too (happily, we had two dented cans of San Marzano tomatoes in the pantry). We have been receiving donations of large amounts of gourmet cheeses lately, so the two “basic” pizzas (Italian sausage and bratwurst) had a seven-cheese blend topping. I cannot even name the kinds of cheeses I grated together for them. I also made a highly experimental pizza that was such a hit I didn't get so much as a taste.  All I can say is that it sure looked good! (See below for the recipe.) Since we had some other things in the fridge that needed attention, I cooked up another gluten-free menu option on the stove, too.

Hungry yet?


Experimental Pizza
  • Spread a pizza shell or flatbread with “Delice de Bourgogne” (a kind of cream cheese that tastes “blue”)
  • Sprinkle with chunks of gorgonzola or other strong blue cheese
  • Drizzle with pomegranate molasses
  • Top with thinly sliced apple
  • Deck with (cooked) bratwurst crumbles 
  • Arrange finely sliced red onion over the whole thing 
Bake until the bread is toasted and the apple and onion are cooked through and the cheese nice and melty. 

For the full show featuring all the people who received Johnsonville sausages that week, go to youtube.com/watch?v=9Easl4bhy24. Some of those folks have amazing stories!!!

Enjoy! And Happy New Year!

No comments: