Thursday, October 27, 2022

Now reporting from New Orleans!

So much has happened in the past several months: Let me start with what is the most dramatic for me, my transfer from Boston, where I have been for the past eight years, to our community in New Orleans. Yes, for the first time in 47 years, I am actually stationed in my hometown, in the very place where I discovered my Pauline vocation! Not only that: two of my siblings are within walking distance, which means that just about every day I have a walking partner (and no excuse not to exercise!). Our bookstore/convent is located in between two large, active parishes, both of which have adoration chapels. The schedule works out for me to walk home from Mass three days a week, and occasionally to walk to adoration for my rosary. (I go to the chapel that does not involve crossing a four-lane parkway.) 

I spent the last weeks in Boston packing books (only ten boxes worth; the rest, catalogued with the Library Thing app, are in a secure location in the motherhouse) and a few less important things, while also working with the choir on our Christmas concert and preparing an article on Bl. James Alberione for a periodical. I was working as well on a two-part workshop for another organization, but they dropped the ball, so I will develop that project later: It's a good topic, but I really needed the time for my other commitments!

The sisters in New Orleans welcomed me with open arms. Finally, the community consists of five members, the minimum recommended to support a healthy community life. As soon as I was in the door, I had a cooking assignment--one of the joys of life for me. The first available Sunday meant coffee and beignets, of course. (And a snowball in the afternoon.) Then the unpacking commenced.

This past week our Pauline Cooperators celebrated not only the feast of Blessed Timothy Giaccardo (Oct 19), but the Promises made by five new members: two in St. Louis on the 19th, and three here in New Orleans on Saturday. The three had all done the two year preparation online, having never met a Daughter of St. Paul until the sisters went to Texas a few weeks ago. They were excited to meet an entire community of sisters, plus a contingent of Cooperators, candidates, and volunteers. It was an incredibly beautiful Mass and ceremony: You could feel the Holy Spirit in the atmosphere! It was good for me to be able to meet the people who are the most involved with our mission in the area, too. (Plus, we had some great leftovers!)

While most of my office is now set up, I am still working out a system for my projects and trying to fine-tune a work schedule: when to write, when to research, when to blog, when to rehearse for the concert. Happily for me, there is another concert singer here (the superior, Sister Mary Martha), so coordinating practice will help both of us. 

The Christmas concerts this year will be quite limited: no streamed event, just one concert in Boston (at Fontbonne Academy on Dec. 9) and one in Charleston (Dec. 11). We had committed to Charleston years in advance for 2020 and, well, you know what happened. With the plans to pull out of the "Holy City" at the end of this year (we just closed our Chicago convent on Oct. 22 after 43 years, and Honolulu in July after 48), we couldn't cancel the concert, too. If you've never seen one of our Christmas concerts and you really need a vacation, I highly recommend you make a family trip to Charleston for the weekend! There are abundant ticket options, too (unlike the situation in Boston). 

There is also a book coming down the pike after being in limbo for quite some time. It's based on retreat meditations I preached for the sisters several years ago. More about that when the time is right! 

Meanwhile, my transition to a small community continues. Please pray for me, for us, and for vocations! 


No comments: