Friday, December 10, 2021

Read the Bible with Me!

Welcome to the Pauline Family's "Year of the Bible"! We've been reading the Bible clear through this year. We are finishing the New Testament, so read along with me. But first, let us pray: 

Father,

When the fullness of time had come, you sent your Word in the One who said, “Whoever sees me, sees the Father.” No revelation can surpass this until Jesus comes again. By your gift, the Church continues to receive unfathomable riches from the inheritance handed on from the Apostles and guaranteed by the Holy Spirit.


Let the Spirit who inspired the writing of today's pages "guide me in the truth and teach me" to follow Jesus ever more closely, until he calls me to follow him to the Kingdom where he lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, forever and ever. Amen.


Today's chapters are Hebrews 10-12.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the preacher has just been warming up all this time. Here comes the really good stuff. These pages are worn thin in my Bible, and maybe they will be in yours, too. The way the Old Testament scriptures are put onto the lips of the pre-Incarnate Word as he assumes our nature "for us and for our salvation" is only the beginning. We are being invited to make those same words our own: "Behold, I come to do your will, O God!"

And then the "cloud of witnesses," the vast litany of heroes, martyrs and holy men and women of Israel, all of who "died in faith, not having received what was promised, but having seen it and greeted it from afar," for it was meant for us, for you and for me, to know Jesus and to confess his name and to keep the eyes of our hearts focused on him and his faithfulness.

Start reading here.

No comments: