Thursday, May 13, 2021

Read the Bible with Me!

Welcome to the Pauline Family's "Year of the Bible"! I'm reading the Bible clear through this year, and I invite you to read along with me. But first, let us pray: 

God of my fathers, Lord of mercy,
who have made all things by your word
and in your wisdom have created people 
to rule all the universe you have made,
and to render judgment in integrity of heart:
Give me Wisdom, the attendant at your throne, 
nd reject me not from among your children;
for I am your servant, the child of your handmaid, 
a weak human being,  
and lacking in comprehension of your Word and your will.

Send your Wisdom from the holy heavens,
from your glorious throne,
to be with me, to guide me,
to enlighten me, to lead me to you.
(Based on Wis 9)

Today's chapters are Job 4-6.

After Job's piteous lament, his visitors begin to speak, yet their words are hardly consoling! In fact, they follow the same patterns of thought that philosophers through the ages and across cultures will take in attempting to make some sense of the problem of evil and pain. Most likely you will recognize (and probably nod along with) much of what Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar have to say: They really are wise men! But "the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom," Paul will write (1 Cor 1:25). The future light of the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus will shed an unexpected light on the question, revealing that suffering can even be meaningful.

Start reading here.


If you are looking for a solid but approachable companion to the Bible, I can wholeheartedly recommend A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament by John Bergsma and Brant Pitre. Although the authors are top-level Scripture scholars, they write for "real" readers. Notes include recent findings from archaeology and ancient manuscripts, and how each book of the Bible has been understood by the Church Fathers and used in Liturgy.

No comments: