Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Read the Bible with Me!


Welcome to the Pauline Family's "Year of the Bible"! I'm reading the Bible clear through this year, and I invite you to read along with me. But first, let us pray: 

I praise you, my God, with all people.
May they thank and adore you!
You have written your greatness in creation,
your Law in consciences,
your eternal promises in the Bible.
You are eternally faithful and always lovable!
As I read Sacred Scripture today, open my mind to hear your voice and understand your loving message.
Amen.

Today's three chapters are Genesis 7-9.

Noah's Ark provided the early Church with one of its first images to explain the sacrament of Baptism. That makes Noah's Ark a "type" or prophetic anticipation of Baptism. St Peter will explain the meaning of today's story in a passage in which the New Testament explicitly interprets the Old: "God patiently waited in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water. This prefigured baptism, which saves you now." (1 Pet 3:20-21a). The Ark itself is also a symbol of the Church!

Start reading here: Genesis 7.



If you are looking for a solid but approachable companion to the Bible, I can wholeheartedly recommend A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament by Brant Pitre and John Bergsma. Although the authors are top-level Scripture scholars, they write for "real" readers. Notes include recent findings from archaeology and ancient manuscripts.

No comments: