Saturday, January 03, 2015

Coming Soon!

If you are a long-time reader of NunBlog, you may recall the various promises of a documentary about our Founder...and that I was even part of the team, both reviewing the various versions of the script and then accompanying the film crew in Italy as a translator (and on-camera talent, too, though my footage remains in the archives). Well, at last we are within weeks of the premiere of Media Apostle! The debut will be January 25 (Feast of the Conversion of St Paul). While we had hoped to release the film last January, for the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Pauline Family, it will be released instead during the centenary year of the Daughters of St Paul, and in the year of Consecrated Life, a twofold blessing. My understanding is that there are two versions of the film: a 50-minute version for broadcast (hopefully you'll see it on your favorite Catholic TV network) and a 90-minute DVD version that fills in more of the story. I haven't seen so much as a rough cut yet, myself, but those who have tell me that it is truly inspiring.

Another inspiring film to look forward to will be the documentary on poet Francis Thompson and his masterpiece, "The Hound of Heaven." The poem was a favorite of Mom's--she used to narrate its opening lines, unbidden, and toward the end of her life had me send her about ten copies of the booklet version so she could give it to people (likewise unbidden!) as her way of evangelizing. When she died, there were still four or five copies left (I have one in my office).




It looks like 2015 is shaping up as a great year for Catholic filmmaking!

No comments: