Friday, May 09, 2014

An anniversary draws near, depending on your calendar

Mom at my sister's wedding--the
day after Dad's funeral. We were
all so happy for Jane and Jim, the
smile (so typical) was genuine.
I've been feeling pretty out of sorts lately--and sure it wasn't all due to the l-o-n-g wait for a UK visa (granted today!!!!!). Last night, reading the Gospel for today's Mass, I realized what it was. Mom's first anniversary. Not her "calendar year" anniversary, which was weeks ago (April 21). This Sunday, the 4th Sunday of Easter, it will be one liturgical year since Mom's earthly life ended.

That has got to be one of the greatest "natural" benefits of going to daily Mass for 40 years. All week, I've been hearing the Gospels that were slowly preparing me, encouraging me, to "let it be done" to Mom according to those words: "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sympathize with you and I am sure your mom is in heaven. I look after my elderly mother and I know we don't have much time left. I am sure my mother will go to heaven although she doesn't actually believe in the afterlife. She has 9 children and very nearly died with no. 8. Mother looked after me as I have a mental illness and now the roles are reversed. I get your blog in my email and when you come to England I hope you take a little trip over to Northern Ireland and it would be great to meet in Belfast for a cup of coffee.

Sister Anne said...

I'd love that!