Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Blessed James Alberione and "The Joy of the Gospel"


How fitting it is that on this feast of Blessed James Alberione, founder of the worldwide evangelizing network known as the Pauline Family, we receive Pope Francis' new document, "The Joy of the Gospel"! The document is the Pope's way of concluding the last Synod of Bishops (o the New Evangelization); is it also the first stage of the next assembly--the Extraordinary Synod on proclaiming the Gospel in the face of extreme challenges facing family life today?

When Father James Alberione was beatified (2003), the Paulines received this message* from then-Cardinal Bergoglio, who was well acquainted with the Paulines of Argentina:

"When I returned from Rome I joyfully received your note telling me that you were celebrating the
beatification of Father James Alberione, founder of the Pauline Family, that will take place on the 27th of this month. I warmly thank you for your kindness and I unite myself with all my heart to this significant ecclesial event. As I already told you in the audience that we had, now we count on a new model and intercessor of singular virtues who has contributed so much to announcing the Gospel with the means of communication. I avail myself on this occasion to thank you and all the members of Blessed Alberione family, for the efficient and dedicated pastoral work that you do for the good of the Church, particularly in the Archdiocese of Buenos Aires, Argentina."

*Translated from Spanish by Sr. Mary Stephen and Sr. Mary Thecla

No comments: