Friday, July 12, 2013

Tidbits from "the Light of Faith"

Retreat silence continues, but I have prepared a week's worth of posts from the new encyclical while my technology and I rest in the Lord. (Full disclosure: my Kindle is not participating in this retreat, as it contains the text of Theology of the Body on which the retreat talks are based.)

Today's thought (from #27)  helps lift faith out of the realm of dry, sterile teachings where we can sometimes relegate it, and shows that faith has an intimate connection to love:

"Love and truth are inseparable. Without love, truth becomes cold, impersonal and oppressive for people's everyday lives.... One who loves realizes that love is an experience of truth, that it opens our eyes to see reality in a new way, in union with the beloved."

I recall that this experience of love revealing a greater truth was fundamental to Jennifer Fulwiler's conversion from atheism. What might this (and another passage I may use as tomorrow's tidbit) suggest to you about the most fruitful avenue for the New Evangelization ?


No comments: