Okay. At least we know where we stand, and can't pretend or procrastinate any more.
But there are some things we can and must do--since we cannot abdicate our call to evangelize the culture. Among the responses to the election results was a very wise observation on how the U.S. Bishop's document "Faithful Citizenship" has yet to be implemented. Not that many people haven't tried to apply the teachings of the document in this and previous elections. That's not the issue. In our haste to fix the system, we skipped over the principles the bishops laid down: the foundations for the formation of conscience, without which we are doomed to a cycle of short-term, inconclusive goals:
Even in our secularized and mildly hostile context, people are still open to the values embedded in those principles. They can really be principles; that is, the "first" things we establish, rather than the part we skip over in our haste to accomplish something.
Here are some other Catholic responses to the election results:
- Thomas McDonald acknowledges the many Catholics who won't get what the fuss is about: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2012/11/be-content-to-trust-in-the-lord/
- Lisa Hendey reminds us to "be the change" you wish to see--nobody's stopping you!: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lisahendey/2012/11/after-the-election-be-the-change-you-desire/
- The Christophers point out that politics isn't the be-all and end-all; the culture itself is still open to conversion: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christophers/2012/11/change-the-culture-change-the-world/
- A perspective from a Catholic "Conservative Leftist": it's hard-hitting and not entirely polite, but there are some valuable insights there. Somebody has to say these things! http://www.patheos.com/blogs/samrocha/2012/11/whats-left-of-the-left-did-the-grand-old-party-just-get-old/
- The Anchoress welcomes us all to "interesting times" (wait, wasn't that some kind of ancient curse?): http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2012/11/07/post-election-12-welcome-to-interesting-times/