Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Baby

Happy Birthday to ... me! (Here I am on my 4th birthday, with my sister Mary.)

I always did enjoy my special birthday, with its unique perks for a Catholic school girl: no school the next day! That meant I not only got to go around the neighborhood collecting candy as part of my regular birthday party, I always had a birthday party on the real day! When I was old enough, I could have what we so quaintly called a "slumber party" on my actual birthday; the next day, my friends dispersed after the Holy Day Mass.

Among the Daughters of St. Paul in this North American province, there are three Halloween Babies; happy birthday to Sr Sean in editorial, and Sr Mary Rita at the motherhouse!

Do you know any Halloween Babies?


As you prepare for little visitors this evening, here is a helpful reminder from a Chicago dad whose rambunctious son has life-threatening allergies:


Tonight a lot of creatures will visit your door. Be open-minded. The child who is grabbing more than one piece of candy might have poor fine motor skills. The child who takes forever to pick out one piece of candy might have motor planning issues. The child who does not say trick-or-treat or thank you might be shy or non-verbal. The child who looks disappointed when he sees your bowl might have an allergy. The child who isn't wearing a costume at all might have SPD (sensory processing disorder) or autism. Be nice. Be patient. It's everyone's Halloween. Happy Halloween!

No comments: