Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Catholic story found glory at the box office!

Thanks to well-planned advance screenings and aggressive social media marketing, "For Greater Glory" found a glory spot in the TOP 10 on its opening weekend. This, without the mega-sized billboards and bus stop ads of, say, the latest version of Snow White--and despite the fact that, with only 757 theaters compared to Snow White's opening weekend in 3,773.

Even though "For Greater Glory" has some real weaknesses as a movie (among them, too many noble speeches), it deserves the box office glory it won this weekend. And all of you who went to the theaters in a show of support for films with a moral core also deserve kudos!

2 comments:

Ruth Ann Pilney said...

My husband and I went to see it on Sunday, and both of us liked it and found it touched us deeply. I would even be willing to see it again, and I never do that with movies, generally speaking.

At the conclusion of the film, when the credits started rolling several members in the audience shouted in unison, ¡Viva Cristo Rey! !QuĂ© viva! I was pleasantly startled by that.

I do not think it is for children or even for youth, because of its R rating, which I think it deserved because of its violence. The violence was intrinsic to the story, but its too harsh for the young to see.

Sr Anne Flanagan said...

What an amazing experience!