Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The multi-faceted Word

A few days ago, I got an email from one of the sisters asking for three of my favorite quotes. I had to think long and hard about that, because paring all my favorite quotes down to three is quite a challenge. Which kind of favorite did she mean? "All-purpose" favorites? "Instant rescue" favorites when I am in a tough spot of some kind? "Inspirational" favorites? "Consoling" favorites?
And then when I started putting some down to get started, I noticed that most of the quotes I had were from Scripture. And that they tended to fit all of the above categories. Not because they were "that kind" of quote, but because Scripture is so applicable across a wide range of situations. In other words, the Word can speak to just about anything.
In the end, I limited myself to one Scripture favorite ("God is able to make every grace abundant for you" from St Paul) and two from Bl. Alberione, since I figured that those would be less accessible to people in general. But today I came upon another example of the Word speaking in a way I did not expect. The Lord's words to St. Martha ("Did I not tell you that if you believe you will see the glory of God?") have been answering all sorts of issues for me this year...
Has that happened to you? What Word of Scripture has spoken to you in a particular way, and then been applicable in a variety of ways?

No comments: