Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Like a thief in the night

A story linked on Twitter this morning connects quite strikingly with Paul's image (from the first reading) about a thief in the night.
Over the past ten years, Walter Bonam's family has literally been through fire (2001) and through water (Hurricane Katrina), and since July have been facing an even greater challenge as a result of a single, paralyzing gunshot during a home invasion in July. Already a man of faith (even his job as associate director of religious education for the Archdiocese of New Orleans is a matter of faith), Bonam sees life from a new perspective from his wheelchair: "I think God allowing me to be here rather than in a box in the ground can perhaps enhance my ability to speak to certain kinds of people and have them take me seriously. I’ve just been humbled beyond belief by things."

No comments: