Thursday, July 14, 2011

What a full day!

I'm still unpacking--in more ways than one. While my suitcase lies outside my door  holding a few things I will need to repack in two weeks, I am interiorly "unpacking" the extraordinary readings the liturgy has fed us with between yesterday and today. Basically, all you have to add would be the Passion/Resurrection narratives, and you'd have all the Bible you really need for a lifetime. The first reading and Gospel these days have also connected with each other in that biblically marvelous way that shows that the New is "hidden" in the Old, and the Old fulfilled in the New. In the revelation at the burning bush, "no one knows the Father but the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him." And today, God reveals the divine name: I AM, and tells us even more: "I am meek and humble of heart." The initial revelation had to be gradual: God promised powerful signs and portents to Moses by way of introduction.
Only when we recognize the transcendent God of power can we marvel that he would come among us "meek and humble," bearing a yoke and inviting us to share it.
I'll be  unpacking this a lot longer, I think.

No comments: