So for the novena, I thought it would be nice to share a Scripture passage that relates to the descent of the Holy Spirit, along with a hymn or prayer in honor of the Holy Spirit.
- When they entered the city they went to the upper room where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. All these devoted themselves with one accord to prayer, together with some women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers. (Acts 1:13-14)
- Holy Spirit, come and shine
On our souls with beams divine,
Issuing from Thy radiance bright.
Come, O Father of the poor,
Ever bounteous of Thy store,
Come, our heart’s unfailing light.
- Come, Consoler, kindest, best,
Come, our bosom’s dearest guest,
Sweet refreshment, sweet repose.
Rest in labor, coolness sweet,
Tempering the burning heat,
Truest comfort of our woes.
- O divinest light, impart
Unto every faithful heart
Plenteous streams from love’s bright flood.
But for Thy blest Deity,
Nothing pure in man could be;
Nothing harmless, nothing good.
- Wash away each sinful stain;
Gently shed Thy gracious rain
On the dry and fruitless soul.
Heal each wound and bend each will,
Warm our hearts benumbed and chill,
All our wayward steps control.
- Unto all Thy faithful just,
Who in Thee confide and trust,
Deign the sevenfold gift to send.
Grant us virtue’s blest increase,
Grant a death of hope and peace,
Grant the joys that never end.