Saturday, March 05, 2011

The next synod

We just got the Pope's official "post-synodal apostolic exhortation" from the last Synod (on the Word of God) and now we have the preparatory document (called the "lineamenta") for the next world synod of bishops (in 2012). ave you read the earlier document, "Verbum Domini"? I am still working on it. I don't want to give it short shrift. Thankfully, there's still time before the next synod!
The theme for 2012 will be "The New Evangelization"--not just leaving it at that, but defining it: "The New Evangelization for the Transmission of the Christian Faith." Just by that alone, you can tell that this is going to be a meaty encounter. I haven't read the lineamenta yet (I downloaded them to the "new old" Kindle that my sister gave me), but I strongly suspect that they will have a lot to suggest to me and my community as we look at how to spread the Gospel in the widest possible radius.

No comments: