Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tidbits

Sr Julia gave "her" story as the speaker for the local Magnificat women's prayer group breakfast yesterday, and I got most of it on video. Until the 8 gb card ran out.... And since that time I have been struggling to get the HD video processed on a subnotebook. Not pretty! And just as I had most of it at least converted to the format the video editor can use, Microsoft Update forced the computer to restart. Bye-bye, video.
It's back now, having been running on the computer all day while my family tried in vain to lure me across the lake to see my toddler great-niece. (My voice mail box is full of messages in that lilting baby voice saying, "Hi, Aunt Anne!" so it was really hard to resist!) I also had to start packing, cleaning stuff up and getting Sr Julia (again!) on video talking about books for her "Best Catholic Books" blog. (I'll tackle that when I get back to Chicago!)
Anyway, I had hoped that by last night I would be able to stream Sr Julia's talk and then post it here and on Facebook, but that's not going to happen until... I get back to Chicago, I suppose. Which is scheduled for Monday.
Meanwhile, the readings are continuing with Genesis. It is so very rich (especially when you read it through the TOB lens Pope John Paul gave us). Today I was struck that while in the first reading, the man is told how hard he will have to work to find food that he will only eat "by the sweat of the brow," in the Gospel, Jesus has his apostles hand out food freely to people who had not labored for it, but who had been following him for three days, listening to him preach. Truly, "man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God"! There was also the very poignant scene of Adam and Eve hiding from God. A while back I found myself musing that in some way it might be valid to say that the sin of disobedience was not nearly as offensive to God's majesty and goodness as the mistrust that was manifest in hiding from him. Julian of Norwich tells us what their disposition could have been: the little child who fell into the mud running to its good mother and saying, "Oh, Mother, look how I have soiled my garments!" (I wonder: How differently might history have unfolded if our first parents had run to God in the Garden that afternoon?)

No comments: