Friday, October 15, 2010

"Woe" Survey Results

For some reason, I can't upload the images for the responses to Q 1-3, so here are the essay questions. LOTS of great answers to Question 5 (very reflective!):

4. What about "woe"? Is there a place for some expression of woe in preaching? 
You said:
  • Yes, we have to be on guard against evil and it is the Christian's task to admonish & help save souls.
  • Yes, as a warning statement.
  • i think it would be nice to know the truth and if Hell is actually real we should be aware of this.
  • I think there is a place for frankness; calling things by their real name and not tippy-toeing all around the Scriptures when there is a clear application to modern life.
  • Yes, of course. It's like you said... too many people are of the understanding that God is nice, God loves everything, and "there is no condemnation in Christ." But that's a silly thought, because Christ Himself will be the Judge. And if there is no repentance, then our entire reality is based on the fact that there IS judgement, there IS condemnation, and there IS woe!! Hell is as real as heaven is, but we like to pretend it doesn't exist. I feel like we need more reminders in the Catholic community that there is an alternative ending!
  • There should be; we rarely, if ever, hear of "woe" and what it means. I shouldn't have had to pay thousands of dollars for a Master's degree in Theology in order to learn about the importance of "woe" in the spiritual life and formation in holiness!
  • yes If JESUS said woe thats good enough for me.
  • Yes, we need to respect God as almighty and have a Blessed fear of His Law.
  • No
  • Msgr told us to enter through the narrow gate. He did not mention "woe."

5. In critical areas, how can Catholics (ordained and non-ordained) be prophetic and honest in a way that will really reach and move the ordinary listener?
You said:
  • Using a wholistic approach, one could be prophetic and honest, while maintaining a relationship with Our Father in heaven and Our Lord Jesus Christ, mindful of Holy Scriptures and our traditions and striving at social communications as often as possible.
  • by quoting and unpacking Scripture
  • Telling the truth with love but also with clarity.
  • I wish I knew!
  • I think the Church needs to do a better job promoting her teachings. Maybe if we knew our faith better we would witness more. I just think so many practicing Catholics feel alone or not supported. Especially when sin barely exists anymore. I love our priests and pray for them daily but why is the church so silent in MA?
  • The most effective approach would depend on the relationship you have with the person or group. Have we done all we can with humor? (Humor, not snarkiness.)
  • Live integrated lives that are consistent with the Gospel; be faithful to the sacraments (of coure Eucharist, but yes, including reconciliation!)
  • I think catechists have to be real, with adults and with children. And most especially with youth. But we have to be pastoral and loving about our teaching and preaching... because being patronizing and threatening isn't going to get us where we want to be, either.
  • Simple honesty, not mincing words, delivering the ENTIRE message of the gospel (including the hard stuff) matter-of-factly. People appreciate honesty, even if they choose to reject what is taught. At least then they know what they are accepting or rejecting. (I speak as a parish employee who has to often deliver the difficult teachings such as: confession is necessary at least once per year, intentionally missing Mass is a mortal sin, receiving Holy Communion when not in a state of grace is the mortal sin of sacrilege, etc.) And yeah, it's the first time many people have been told such things. That's just wrong.
  • Lovingly, Bishop Fulton Sheen said If you want people to stay the same tell them what they want to hear.If you want someone to change tell them what they need to hear. AMEN.
  • I am 59..... I went to a ROMAN Catholic school in the 1950's. We should all tell others about Our Lord..... not as mean... but JUST and MERCIFUL.
  • The event of saving grace is NOW ever present in the Father Son and Holy Spirit All One. We should not be shy in letting people know this in some way through our expression of Love. If the listener doesn't understand what we say, just let the Love sink in, eventually they will remember the Word of God we shared. We don't need to be forceful, unless force is against us and we need to defend, usually not the case for me. I see immorality, unkindness, stealing, sadness and I offer prayers for those who don't ask for help, and help for those who seek the truth.
  • I think it comes to reaching people where they are and in the manner they speak. Maybe it's a matter of semantics here. I find people seem most moved (as I am) when God seems to "find" me in my everyday life and also when someone shifts my worldview or paradigm by gently challenging me (but not confronting me necessarily). For example, thinking of Mary as a REAL WOMAN (as opposed to a statue on a pedestal) has really increased my devotion to her, and thus my relationship with her Son.
  • .I prefer to hear positive messages about things I can do in my personal life to follow Christ more closely, draw nearer to God, and serve my community.
  • Be challenging - we shouldn't lower the bar that is set by Christ.
  • They must be honest.

 

1 comment:

K T Cat said...

I live in San Diego where there are lots of surfers (my son is one). Do you have any suggestions about teaching about "Whoa" as in "Whoa, dude!"?

:-)