Saturday, June 13, 2009

Corpus Christi (in 17 syllables)


This past week I've been experimenting on Twitter and Facebook with liturgical haiku. You know, taking the Japanese poetic form of three lines, with 5 syllables in the first and third lines and 7 in the middle line, and using this very restricted form to express something of the message from the Mass readings or the saint of the day.

I tried to come up with something for the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of the Lord (Corpus Christi). Which one do you think works the best? Please feel free to compose your own and add it in the comments!


Last Supper
Jesus took up bread,
but would not feed us mere bread:
"This is My Body."


Holy Mass
Giving thanks and praise,
We offer the perfect Gift:
It is Christ Himself.

Procession
Petals floating down,
Incense wafting to the skies,
Come, let us adore.

The image is a detail from one of the windows at Our Lady of Mt Carmel Church, where I will be singing some mighty splendid music for this great feast.

2 comments:

Terri L. Coons said...

Daily Sacrament
Real Body, Real Blood,
God made present with and through
We in Trinity

Terri L. Coons said...

I'm taking The Angelus Project challenge! You had me at A Call to Prayer. LoH too demanding and distracting at this point in my life (raising little ones); love it for leading me back to the Catholic church -- will return to it later. Was looking for something in addition to rosary to ground my day; thank you for helping me to understand and find it!