Saturday, January 31, 2009

When I was reviewing the liturgical readings for today, the Responsorial Psalm caught my attention. First of all, it's from the book of Psalms, but from the Gospel of Luke. But it's a "psalm" in style, and often enough used as a response to the first reading. That wasn't what struck me. It was that two of the words in the Gospel were changed. The "psalm" says, "he promised of old that he would save us from our sins." But the Gospel says he would save us from our enemies. (It's in the Greek, too; I checked.) Then, a verse or two later, in a parallel structure, the "psalm" reads "to set us free from the bonds of our enemies." But the Gospel says from the hands of our enemies.
I wondered if this was actually in the original lectionary, but I doubt it; the Italian readings for today have "enemies" and "hands." So I think the translator or typesetter was on autopilot. But how did that get past the Bishop's Committee on the Liturgy?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I think our Church is confused over sin...since this "psalm" has already taken literary license, perhaps it just went all the way...and sin can certainly be our enemy and the bond of our enemy, too...This is a question for Dianne Bergant, or if Father Manuel were here I would ask him. I think there are some rather unfortunate mistakes in our Lectionary and lapses in poetic language, too. Any word on when the new Lectionary is due in print? Keep us posted...
Pleae send a copy of your Saint Paul program to my pastor here at OLG...Father Carl Quebedeaux, CMF + OLG, 3200 East 91st Street, 60617. He is looking for someone to do something on Paul for the year of...
Time to go help some people deal with their sins in the box...I love this assignment...
Father Fred, CMF