Saturday, June 07, 2008

Printer's Row

Decisions, decisions. There are two really interesting events happening in Chicago this weekend: do I detour through Grant Park to catch the Blues Festival, or go out of my way toward the south Loop for the Printer's Row Book Fair? Today I did both: Blues Festival on my way to Mass at Old St. Mary's, and Printer's Row on the way back.
While walking by tents and tables full of books, old and new, I heard myself being summoned by a woman at a table I had just passed. It was the Catholic Writers Guild. Karina presented the Guild's mission of fostering Catholic writing and publishing, and informed me that membership fees are waived for priests and religious (a very good thing, that!). So I hope to join and benefit from their online conferences and other services.
At the next table was the Writers Cafe, another guild (not a coffee shop). The gentleman there wanted me to know about the Christian sci-fi, fantasy and horror focus of the "Lost Genre Guild" (their motto: "Who says faith can't be fun?")
As I continued on, my eagle eyes spotted an unusual number of red book bags. Sensing a nearby freebie, I followed the clues up to the C-Span trailer and got my own free bag. Then I saw green book bags... But I really had to get home by that point. I picked up my free Ghirardelli chocolates instead and turned north.
Tomorrow, we are hoping to bring our chairs to Grant Park to hear BB King at the Blues Festival. But first, I have to make my monthly retreat for June.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your enthusiasm for Chicago certainly helps as I begin my separation from Georgia...it'll be hard to leave the green of this lovely parish and the life of these wonderful, warm people who walked with me through deaconate to priesthood and the first year of my formal ministry...but there is so much life in Chicago (except the snow and the traffic) and the chance to preach God's abundant goodness to those who will come to the National Shrine of St. Jude for help and to offer thanksgiving...and friends like you and Father Fragomeni. Thanks for your spirit!
Father Fred, CMF

Anonymous said...

And thank you for your enthusiasm. No matter where you go you will bring your zest for life and love of the priesthood with you. spqr