Friday, May 02, 2008

Saint of the Day

Ah, here it is: the first day of the Pentecost Novena, and the feast of St. Athanasius!
My first acquaintance with today's saint was in my postulant year: the "Athanasian creed" was in one of our community prayerbooks. I suppose it was due to its high Christology (and poetic beauty) that it was attributed to Athanasius, Patriarch of Alexandria. Regardless of who the author was, praying this magnificent creed today would be an appropriate way to make the first day of the Pentecost Novena while honoring a great Father and Doctor of the Church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing - I grew up in St. Athanasius parish in Philadelphia and was educated in Catholic schools for 16 years, but this is the first time I have read the Athanasian Creed - indeed very poetic and beautiful.