Thursday, May 29, 2008

But now I see

You really have to love Bartimaeus, the irrepressible blind beggar in today's Gospel story. Nobody could shush him up. "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!" Over and over and over, until Jesus himself took notice. But Jesus didn't call Bartimaeus over: he gave the order to others, "Call him." And when Bartimaeus did come, the cloak of his old life cast aside like something he would no longer need, Jesus asked him, "What do you want me to do for you?"
Wasn't it obvious?
It must have been important to Jesus that Bartimaeus be allowed to speak for himself (something the man clearly had no problem with!).
I love that even though Jesus used the language of a servant with the beggar ("What do you want me to do for you?"), Bartimaeus did not give Jesus a command like "Give me my eyesight" or "Fix my eyes." He just said, "I want to see."
"By their fruits you shall know them." Bartimaeus got his sight--and how! He "began to follow Jesus on the way." Blessed are the eyes that see what you see, Bartimaeus!

No comments: