Thursday, April 24, 2008

In the mind of God

I realized today that sometimes when I am reading the day's Scriptures, if they include an obscure reference to another book of the Bible, I just read and keep going. I rarely give the cited passage any extra attention, unless it is one of those particularly striking passages from Isaiah.
Well, today there was just a little something in the reading from Acts that caught my notice (interestingly, it was not from Isaiah, but from Amos). In the passage from Acts, St. James was addressing the Jerusalem community, gathered with the leaders of the early Church to consider what to do about all the Gentiles who were coming to faith in Jesus. James reminded them that the prophet had written, "so that the rest of humanity may seek out the Lord, even all the Gentiles on whom my name is invoked....says the Lord."
And I marveled that someone, somewhere, had "invoked the name of the Lord" upon my ancestors and me, calling down the blessing that we who were "no people" would be able then to "call on the name of the Lord," the very name that had been "called down" upon us in an anonymous blessing.

No comments: