Wednesday, February 06, 2008

St. Paul and Lent

I've been pretty immersed in books on Paul lately, preparing both for my talk next Wednesday and for a series of talks in preparation for the Pauline Year. So it is only natural for me to be thinking in terms of Paul as Lent begins.
I think St. Paul would have loved the idea of Lent. It sums up, in forty days, what Paul was doing in his letters: recalling Christians to the meaning of their baptism (the first four weeks of Lent) and redirecting our thoughts and attention to "Christ and him crucified" (the final week and a half). In today's second reading (from 2 Corinthians), the Church takes up Paul's own words to invite us into this season of spiritual renewal: "We implore you, in Christ's name, be reconciled to God! Now is the acceptable time! Now is the day of salvation!"
I even have a plaque on my wall that echoes this ardent message of Paul. It reads, "The place is here; the time is now."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Great Fast can produce a wonderful "renewal" if one will only take an effort. All G*d asks for is repentance.

Rene IV