Thursday, January 25, 2007

Feast of St. Paul

This is my favorite picture of Paul, even though it may not seem quite the image for the feast of his Conversion! (Almost looks like he needs to be converted...) The lovely lady is the virgin-martyr St. Praxedes, and the mosaic (9th century) is from the Church of St. Praxedes, right by St. Mary Major in Rome and just down the street from the house church of Praxedes' senator-father whose name escapes me at the moment. (Her Dad was a disciple of St. Peter.) Whenever I have the chance to go to Rome, I try to visit St. Praxedes to enjoy the marvelous mosaics, with the best pictures of Paul to reach us from that far-off era.
Our morning Mass here in Boston was a full hour, and it did not really end yet (we have exposition of the Blessed Sacrament all day on Thursday). But to my great dismay, we did not (yet) sing my favorite (if musically tacky) hymn for this feast day, "We Sing the Glorious Conquest." I hold out hope that we will sing this dramatic song at Evening Prayer!

No comments: