Thursday, July 27, 2006

Father Billy Reed

My lost July 26 post:

Three of us FSPs went with my godmother (Toodie) to the funeral Mass of Father Billy Reed, a well-loved "retired" pastor who had been a long time friend of the Pauline Family, an informal "chaplain" to the Cooperators. It was to Father Reed that my Dad sent me when, at 18, I "came out of the closet" with my desire to enter religious life. Father Reed was pastor of the next parish over from ours, and also head of the Archdiocesan vocations office. Dad wanted him to "authenticate" my vocation. He did!
Archbishop Hannan, himself well loved, preached the homily in a voice that was surprisingly strong and vigorous for his 90+++ years. At the end of the Mass, the principal celebrant (one of the auxiliaries, since Archbishop Hughes is out of town) held out Father Reed's chalice and spoke of the need for priestly vocations to take that saving chalice and call on the name of the Lord.
Eternal rest grant unto Father Reed, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.

No comments: