Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Lamb's High Feast

Couldn't resist a little pun. Sr. Susan did the convent lamb cake this year (her first one ever!). Does anyone else out there have this tradition? (It was unknown to me until I entered the convent.)

When we came home from the Easter Vigil (at Mt Carmel, where the music was fabulous, if a choir member is allowed to say so), we were going to have lamb cake and cocoa, but our houseguests were already in bed (!), so we settled for cocoa and a chat.

7 comments:

dr. nic said...

Every year when I was little, my grandmother would make a lamb cake. Every year no one would eat it. One year, she put it in the freezer and brought it out next year. This happened for several years, until one year someone (my boyfriend at the time) decided to try and eat it. We eventually stopped because, no one would ever eat it.

Have a blessed Easter.

Lisa said...

I meant to note that it looks like Sister Susan did a nice job on the lamb cake. One would never know it was her first!

Anonymous said...

18 Easters ago my husband's family passed the lamb cake mold to me as I am known in the family as "the baker". They are an "anti-coconut" family so the lamb is "shorn" and coated with a bit of icing and some jelly beans.

Sixtina87 said...

It looks cute!!!! Sister did a good job on it!!!

Karen said...

I have a 4 year old and there was nothing that cute at our house. We had no lamb cake. We had traditional Easter banana splits. A tradition I instituted this year because I was too tired to bake anything!

Anonymous said...

The lamb cake is such a good idea! As a vegetarian, I don't get to really partake in Easter dinner. Maybe next year I will give this a try :)

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up in Chicago, we always had a lamb cake. There was also lamb-shaped butter on the dinner table.