Saturday, October 15, 2005

Dairyland

Sr. Helena and I returned to Chicago this afternoon. We had a wonderful time in Wisconsin--the people we met were so warm and wholehearted in their love for the Church, and so welcoming toward us and our mission. We are looking forward to opportunities to go back! (Any readers in Wisconsin?)
Naturally, there was a backlog of work (and e-mail) waiting for us here in Chicago--and I have a paper due on Monday for my CTU class, as well. I jotted down some notes while at Schoenstatt for the final page of that paper, and hope to pull it together, well, as soon as I post this.
Among the e-mail was a request from a sisters' group for information about blogs by sisters; i.e., were there any sisters out there who had blogs, and what were they being used for? I attempted to answer that one. I don't have really grand designs for this blog. It's just a kind of extension of myself into cyberspace-and-time. (Especially time, since you all can meet me here whenever you want, even if I am in Wisconsin or on retreat or too tired even to post something.) Marshall McLuhan said (and he may have been quoting someone else on this) that machines become "extensions of our body." And so it is even with a medium like a blog. It has become a further extension of my writing hand, or even of my voice. The blog is an occasion for conversation, and like a conversation, it moves easily from topic to topic.
Such as tonight's very special topic, the C H I C A G O  W H I T E   S O X.
Sr. Helen and I were watching a bit of tonight's game, until it dawned on me that this game would not clinch the pennant series for Chicago and I had that paper to finish. (Tomorrow I have to make a day of retreat, and I really don't want a paper hanging over my head like the sword of Damocles.) So, G O   S  O  X  ! 
And now duty calls.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We lived 10 years in Wisconsin before moving to Northern California. Those were 10 years of contentment and faith-filled living in an enviroment of faith. What a blessing to have had that experience!
But I'm a native Chicagoan and happy for the White Sox, although I'm a north sider, so the Cubs have my heart.
I love reading your blog to get a little taste of Chicago. And hearing about Wisconsin, my second home, was good too!