Wednesday, August 27, 2008

God's sense of humor

In our family, when things go just slightly awry, we look at each other and say, almost in unison, "Gawd's sense of humor..." We got the expression (which we repeat with the orginal intonation) from a beloved Boston Jesuit who was a spiritual director and dear friend of my parents. I had one of those moments this morning. During my meditation and even through Mass, I kept getting insights about the spiritually dangerous phenomenon of setting personal non-negotiables that are really more strategies for protecting oneself from hurt or discomfort than they are about protecting objective values. (Not to say that self-protective strategies don't have their place, but it takes discernment to recognize when self-protecting becomes an end in itself.) Then, shortly after breakfast, I ran into a sister who had said something really dismissive and hurtful to me about a manuscript I had sent in. It seems that the editors want some changes. (How many, I don't yet know.) I made an appointment and then hurried to chapel to fit my Hour of Adoration in before the day's recording session... Then it dawned on me: during my meditation, God was, in effect, warning me not to dig in my heels with unnecessary "non-negotiables" that had nothing to do with His glory and peace to humanity! Gawd's sense of humor...
I kind of dread the meeting (Friday noon), so please pray that the outcome may really work for God's glory and peace to humanity!
Now I am almost late for the studio call...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have all the confidence in the world that you and the Holy Spirit will do just fine. I, too, have learned in my 10+ months as a priest to "pick my battles" carefully...and to have a sense of humor about the whole thing...especially when there is so much REAL trouble in the world. I will keep you in prayer.
And you, please pray for me...the packing is overwhelming. Last night I came across the brochure for "Who do you say that I am?" our team project for Father Fragomeni...excellent memories...
Peace, my Sister...
Father Fred, CMF

Anonymous said...

Gawd's sense of humor seems to be working overtime. In my efforts to evangelize whoever crosses my path, I have often left myself wide open for rejection and insult. In short I am tired of being "dumped on" for my good intentions. In the future my plan is to be more discerning when I reach out to my fellow man.

Anonymous said...

Sister, I am praying for you that you will be at peace with the outcome of what must have been a very demoralizing experience. Mother Thecla accompany you to this encounter.

Anonymous said...

Father Fred, You have my sympathy trying to get packed for a major move. I am having difficulty just planning to pack and leave my home for a day or two (hopefully) to escape a hurricane, spqr